The Adoption Process
1. Fill out an adoption application and submit a nonrefundable $25 dollar adoption application fee via the Paypal button on our website & FaceBook page or by mailing a check to Horse North Rescue, PO Box 76 Kingsley, MI 49649
2. Schedule a Meet and Greet by calling 231-645-4674, leaving your name and phone number and date & time preferred. Meet and Greets without an application submitted occur the first and third Thursdays of every month from 3-6pm and on the first and third Saturday of every month from 10a-1pm. NOTE: This is a very basic 30 minute time to interact with the horse.
3. If your application and fee have been submitted, we allow for a 60 minute visit with the prospective horse that interests you and more extensive handling of the horse will be permitted. Again, call 231-645-4674 to set up that appointment by leaving your name, phone number and our Barn Manager will call you back to get it scheduled.
4. Should you be interested in a horse that is not currently available for adoption, we encourage you to submit an application so we can get the preliminary site visit and paperwork started. All horses will be given at least two weeks advertised as "available" before the selection process begins.
5. This application will expire after two years from date of signature or adoption of a HNR horse or whichever comes first.
6. The dedicated volunteers at HNR will conduct a site visit, check on the references you provide and discuss further with you whether that particular horse will be the most suitable for your family.
Please note: All HNR horses are adopted out on a 'right to first refusal contract' meaning if you cannot or should no longer wish to own the horse, HNR must be contacted prior to the horse being advertised or transferred to another home.
Lilly is a 14.1H Arab and approximately 11yo, that came to us as an Animal Control seizure. She arrived underweight and very skiddish. Lilly needs a home with an experienced, patient adopter. She is very willing to learn once she trusts you. Lilly does have mild heaves and does better on square bales than round bales. Lilly is standing better for the farrier now, loves her stall and grooming time. She is UTD on teeth and vaccinations and ready for a new chapter to her life. Lilly has started consistent groundwork and has had a couple of quiet rides in the roundpen! She is a quick learner and is available for $200 to the right home.
Ivy is a gorgeous, 20 yo, registered Welsh Cobb standing at 14 hands. She is very healthy and responds extremely well to natural horsemanship training. She has been saddled, but not yet ridden. Ivy is considered a Project Horse and is available for $350. As her training advances, her price will go up so make an appointment today to visit with this pretty Bay.
Trader is making some great progress on his rehabilitation and weight gain. He is a lively fellow with bright eyes and a fondness of his best girl, Ivy. This handsome gelding is a 17 year old Arabian that stands about 14.3 hands. Trader still needs to gain more weight, and undergo a training assessment before he will be ready for placement, so follow us on Facebook and this page for additonal future updates.
Bonnie is a 14 year old sorrel-paint mini that is the mother of Mae & Winnie. She needs to gain some weight and be assessed for training before being available for adoption, however, we recommend putting in an adoption if you are interested as this sweet girl will be looking for a home.
This cute little sorrel-paint mini has one blue eye and is a 4 year old. She has just arrived and will need some time to gain some more weight and be assessed. Stay tuned for her progress and adoption availabiity.
This handsome Quarter horse will need some time to gain weight, get UTD on his health care and be assessed for training. He is about 16.1H and is in his mid-20's based on teeth. Stay tuned for more information on this gelding.
This adorable 7 year old Hackney/Cross mare will be up for adoption soon as she is now current on her vaccinations, teeth, and hoof trims. Angel gained weight nicely and only needs a training assessment. We were told she is not broke to ride/drive, however, we will be assessing this. We have not sticked her but estimate her to be around 13.1 hands tall. Stay tuned for more information on her progress and when she might become available for adoption.
This little sorrel-paint mini is just 3 years old and is busy gaining weight. She will be looking for a home with a companion mini and lots of attention. Please consider clicking on our "Adoption application" so we can get this girl a great home after her rehabiiitation and assessment time.
This pretty 11 year old, Tobiano Paint has returned from a former HNR lease program. She will need a little time to get current on her vaccinations, dental and Farrier appointments and undergo a training assessment. Stay tuned for progress reports.